PLANO, TX. - After getting off to a rocky start, the ASA Miami Men's Tennis team is closing in on Tyler Junior College who is currently in the lead at the National Tournament. The Silver Storm lost a pair of matches during the round of 16 at flight one singles and flight two singles. Unfortunately, #1 singles Jules Pelatan has been eliminated. However, #2 singles Martin Mendoza went on to continue playing in the back draw and has advanced to the finals. If Mendoza is able to win the back draw, then ASA will be awarded points.
The other seven flights have advanced to the finals of the tournament for the Silver Storm. Before the semifinal round started on Thursday, ASA Miami stood in third place, trailing both Tyler Junior College and ABAC. In the semifinal round, ASA Miami didn't face neither of those two teams. The Silver Storm went head-to-head with Seward County Community College four times and swept all four match ups against them of the seven flights on Thursday.
On Friday, ASA Miami and Tyler will go at each other four times. Twice at singles - flights 3 & 4 and twice at doubles - flights 1 & 2.
For more information on the 2017 NJCAA Division I Men's Tennis Championship CLICK HERE.
Singles Semifinal Round
- Back Draw | #2 Singles Martin Mendoza def. Wallace State (6-1, 6-1)
- #3 Singles Sacha Modica def. Seward County Community College (6-0, 6-3).
- #4 Singles Tin Chen def. Laredo Community College (6-1, 6-1).
- #5 Singles Kentaro Mizushima def. Seward County Community College (6-1, 6-1).
- #6 Singles Eric Ahren-Moonga def. Seward County Community College (6-1, 6-2).
Doubles Semifinal Round
- #1 Doubles Martin Mendoza/Sacha Modica def. Seward County Community College (6-2, 6-1).
- #2 Doubles Tin Chen/Kentaro Mizushima def. Mesa Community College (6-2, 7-6 (3)
- #3 Doubles Eric Ahren-Moonga/Olivier Koeng def. Cowley County Community College (2-1 ret).
Singles Quarterfinal Round
- Back Draw | #2 Singles Martin Mendoza def. Oakton (6-0, 6-0)
- #3 Singles Sacha Modica def. State College of Jacksonville (6-1, 6-1).
- #4 Singles Tin Chen def. Collin College (6-1, 6-1).
- #5 Singles Kentaro Mizushima def. Meridian Community College (6-0, 6-0).
- #6 Singles Eric Ahren-Moonga def. State College of Jacksonville (6-3, 6-0).
Doubles Quarterfinal Round
- #1 Doubles Martin Mendoza/Sacha Modica def. Paradise Valley (5-7. 6-3, 6-1).
- #2 Doubles Tin Chen/Kentaro Mizushima def. Laredo Community College (6-3, 6-4).
- #3 Doubles Eric Ahren-Moonga/Olivier Koeng def. Seminole State College (6-0, 6-0).
TEAM STANDINGS (By Points)
1st = Tyler Junior College - 40 Points
2nd = ASA College Miami - 38.5 Points
3rd = ABAC - 34 Points
4th = Seward College - 31.5 Points
ABOUT ASA COLLEGE: ASA College is regionally accredited by the Middle States Commission of Higher Learning. The college is also accredited by the following governing agencies: Accrediting Council for Independent Colleges and Schools (ACICS). Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs. In addition, ASA College and its faculty and staff maintain required memberships and certifications from a wide realm of professional higher education and civic organizations.
FOLLOW THE STORM
For the latest news on ASA Miami Athletics, follow the Silver Storm on social media. Twitter @ASASilverStorm, Instagram @ASASilverStorm, on Facebook at Facebook.com/ASASilverStorm and on Snapchat at ASASilverStorm.